Book your flight to Halkidiki


Rent a car in Halkidiki !!!


Taxi from Thessaloniki to Halkidiki


Directory of Halkidiki


Halkidiki Photos

a virtual tour to Halkidiki,
more than 1000 photos.
Web Gallery of Sithonia, Kassandra, Athos
and North Halkidiki!!!halkidiki_photo_gallery.jpg

Halkidiki Photo Gallery

Find us on Social Media !

Halkidiki Net on Facebook!    Halkidiki Net on Twitter!
Nea Fokea PDF Print E-mail

Nea Fokea abstains from Thessaloniki 86 km and from Poligiros 43 km 
It was colony of Eretria and it appears that it was important city. Accepted obligatory conscription from the Xerxes and afterwards the Persian wars became member of Athenian Alliance. It at least existed as settlement until the 1st century after Christ.  The other city found itself to the side of Toronaios and was, very probably, the insignificant "Skithai". In the roman years were developed two appreciable settlements in the side of Thermaikos of gulf: the one was in the region "Gerani" and it appears to owe his growth in the exploitation and in the systematic exploitation of salt marshes that existed there. In the Byzantine years is reported somewhere there a village with the name "Miriandrion", which is not excluded is himself the settlement of Geranium. The second roman settlement was in the bight Kipsa, where today is found the camping Sani.
The 14th century they exist already enough monastery dependency of Athos in the region jost important it was the "Mariskin of" abbey Dionisiou.  In 1407 Ioannis Z' Palaiologos granted the region that is built the N. Fokaia in the abbey of Saint Pavlos of Mount Athos. Then it appears that was built and the tower that dominates and today in the region.
- The tower of Saint Pavlos: as we mentioned before, it appears that it was built around in 1407 for the safety of cultivators and the monastery dependency abbey of Saint Pavlos. It has height of 17 m. and dimensions of base 7 x 7 m. He is built with ancient building material, emanating rather from Potidea. Round the tower existed, until 1930, the remainder installations monastery dependency, by which are saved demi-dilapedated departments from the Eastern and southern wing. It is also saved also chapel monastery dependency, built 19th aj. In the tower and the metohi was installed in 1821 the head of revolution in Chalkidiki Emmanuel Papas. In the same spaces first were installed the refugees in 1922.

-The holy water of Saint Pavlos: it is found in the Eastern limits of
settlement. Is for underground, carved in the natural rock, corridor, length of 20 metres roughly, which leads to a rectangle carved underground booth. Probably it is ancient tomb work, which divert in a temple in the Byzantine years. In some season the booth muraling, but the humidity destroyed the murals, by which are saved today minimal relic, mainly in the corners. In the corner of corridor exists small reservoir, in which they are assembled the holy water. This underground work is related with the popular delivery that is reported in the distribution of Christianity in Chalkidiki from the Apostle Pavlos. According to the delivery, the Apostle Pavlos taught in Ierissos, where however him they chased in order to him they kill. In order to it is saved, it entered in a opening of ground and with underground corridor it reached in the Kassandra and it came out in the corridor of holy water. 
-The tower of Stavronikitas: it is in found in the coast of Thermaikou of gulf, in a small peninsula, in the region of tourist group Sani. It is saved in height of 8m. roughly. Protected the monastery dependency of abbey Stavronikitas of Mount Athos, which was founded the 1543. Probably tower is oldest than the monastery dependency. The peninsula of tower should be the citadel of very old Sani. The city extended itself in the hills of north-easternly peninsula, where today is found the big hotel. 
- The roman farmhouse in the Megali Kipsa (camping Sani):
In the 1972 and 1974 excavating a part from farmhouse the roman years in the beach of Megali Kipsa, in the coast of camping Sani. Were found many  architectural members and departments of josaic floorings (the josaics are covered with sand and are not visiting) from marble. The building appears be alive up to the 9th century, but in the last years of his "life" to suffer serious building changes.

< Prev
View My Stats